cephalopods & hats

January 14th, 2012 by erin

Hello internet, I was avoiding you all week, please don’t take it personally and if anything exciting happened in my absence please let me know.

Exciting thing I already heard about despite not being on the internet (much): The Night Circus was nominated for a Kitschie award which is delightful regardless but made even more delightful by cephalopod-y-ness. More awards should involve tentacles, truly.

In non-internet news, I have a top hat!

This fabulous hat was sent to me by the marvelous booksellers at The Booksmith in San Francisco. I love it because it actually fits my gigantic head even though it is quite difficult to photograph properly, I had to resort to laptop webcam photo which is not terribly dapper but you get the general impression. I am not smiling as much as I should be because I had been trying to get a proper photo on three different cameras but it is difficult under the best circumstances to take a decent photo of one’s own self and extra difficult when one is wearing a very tall hat. But thank you thank you thank you to my Booksmith darlings, you are more wonderful than my photographic skills can convey.

In other news I am working on long sprawling blog posts about Stuff and I will be at Newtonville Books in Newton, MA tomorrow at 2pm. I will probably not be wearing the top hat.

Tags: ,

17 Responses to “cephalopods & hats”

1. Qwill says:

Congratulations on the Kitschie award nominations. Love the hat!!

2. A hat for magicians! That’s fabulous. It really suits you. Maybe kittens can appear and disappear inside, who knows? :)

3. Ale says:

Love your hat! It’s so cool!! :D

4. Marcheline says:

I also wear the largest size man’s hat they make (at least in vintage hats, which I collect)… and finding my top hat was indeed one of the highlights of my hat-finding career! Congratulations on yours, and glad it fits you. There’s nothing sadder than finding the perfect hat only to discover it’s too small/big.

As for taking photos of yourself, there’s an easier way. You get a tripod (I actually have an extra one and would be happy to send it to you) and a digital camera with a delay setting (even the cheapie digitals have that feature). I’m not going to pretend that this method doesn’t take a lot of tries to get the perfect shot (I am very critical of photos of myself, more so than photos I take of other folks) but when you nail it, it’s grand!

I took my tripod to Scotland with me both times I went, because I traveled by myself and wanted to be IN my pictures of Scotland, especially the castle Eilean Donan. Back then I was using a regular manual 35mm, but happily it still had the delay feature.

Congrats on your award! I regularly sing your praises to all and sundry on my blog, and in comments on others’ blogs, in case anyone missed reading TNC.

• erin says:

I have a tripod! Haven’t mastered the delay photo yet but I will keep that in mind next time I have photo difficulty, thank you.

5. Diana says:

Greetings,
    I so loved your story and your hat quite fun. My book club has chosen your book for our January meeting this coming Friday, Jan 20. I already know this book will go down in our top ten best books. Wonder if you’ve created questions to be used for discussion groups.
    thanks for a beautiful story! Diana

6. Taylor Lynn says:

Big congrats on being nominated the Kitschie award!! THE NIGHT CIRCUS is an amazing book and definitely deserves to win such a unique award. :-)

And that hat is fantastic!! Are you going to be wearing it everywhere now? ;-)

Also – I know I already said this on Twitter (I’m NovelingMuggle), but welcome back to the internet! I hope you enjoyed your hiatus!! :-)

7. Lorren says:

The Booksmith is marvelous… I just made my first visit there a week or so ago and definitely fell in love.

8. Ian Herring says:

I am anxiously awaiting to devour this book (not literally, of course). It has been sitting on my bedside table for 2 weeks now taunting me. I have been much to busy as of late, can’t wait to read it! Loving your blog too!

Much sincerely,
    A young writer/reader/lover of cats

9. Patrick Dean says:

I bought your audiobook. Jim Dale does a fabulous job bringing your incredible story to life. I have listened to it 3 times. It makes me laugh, it makes me cry.

I sincerely look forward to your next book.