Happy November! November is National Novel Writing Month!
I am not going to write a long involved post about NaNoWriMo. I will instead say a few short things and give you links to long involved things that I have written about NaNoWriMo before.
Here are the short things:
- The Night Circus did indeed begin life as a NaNoWriMo project. In fact, the *idea* for the circus turned up unexpectedly in a NaNo project the year before.
- I have not participated properly myself since ’09, though I’d love to do it again sometime. I did a single day of solidarity last year and wrote 5k or so. I am considering taking a handful of days in November and seeing what I can manage.
- I do not and will not ever understand the general anti-NaNo sentiment that crawls around the internet, hissing, this time of year. I understand not liking that people query NaNovels on Dec 1 (there’s a lot about that in one of the linked posts below) but the general dislike for it baffles me. It encourages people (like me) who might not have actually sat down to write otherwise to sit down and write.
- To reiterate: I cannot fathom disparaging anything that encourages storytelling. Yeah, I bolded that, even.
- To all of you 2012 NaNo-ers, I salute you. I wave flags of encouragement and wish you happy writing and delicious snacks that don’t make your fingers sticky for ease of typing and I hope you surprise yourself over the next 30 days.
And here are links to things:
- This is my official NaNoWriMo pep talk from last year.
- This is the aforementioned blog post that is a lot about drafts and also analogies about birds.
Happiest of Happy Autumnal Novembers to everyone, because I am all about the happy-wishing lately.