flax-golden tales: always darjeeling

April 13th, 2012 by erin

always darjeeling

It’s not that good a trick, really.

There are ooohs and aaahhs when I show someone who hasn’t seen it before, but only the first time.

After the second time they complain that I can’t do it with anything else.

Like it’s not that impressive to draw something in chalk and have it become real once the drawing is complete since I can only do it with teacups.

Even though the teacups materialize with actual tea inside.

But the tea will only be hot if I draw the steam, and I have to draw lots of it in order to obtain proper tea-drinking temperature.

I usually don’t drink it, anyway.

It’s never sweetened, even if I draw sugar cubes.

And it’s always Darjeeling.

No matter how much I wish for Earl Grey.

About flax-golden tales. Photo by Carey Farrell. Text by Erin Morgenstern.

Tags:

10 Responses to “flax-golden tales: always darjeeling”

1. Shannon says:

Wow, this story actually made me smile from ear to ear! Darjeeling is my favourite anyways :)

2. brianne says:

mm, yes please. a cup would be nice today.

3. Veronica says:

And now I think I’m going to have to make tea, even though it’s late and I have to wake up early. Earl Grey with some ginger cookies from Trader Joe’s…

4. Brittney says:

I love it… like always.

5. Victoria says:

As if Simon is all grown up and his land of chalk drawings is a bitter sweet memory.

6. Lisa Ahn says:

I love this — so much story in so few words. Makes me smile.

7. Marcheline says:

Seriously, though. It does seem like the things we’re best at do us the least service. Unless you count writing fantastic novels about magical circuses, of course. 8-)

8. [...] Lastly – I’ve been reading a book called The Night Circus. It’s a fantastic gem of a book written in vignettes – perfect for reading in small bites or one long, indulgent stretch. Erin Morgenstern has a brilliant website where she shares her thoughts on writing (both the act and the profession) and occasionally shares short stories inspired by photographs. My favourite so far is Always Darjeeling. [...]