birthday!

July 8th, 2012 by erin

Today is my birthday! I am thirty-four years old, which also means that this blog is four years old and flax-golden tales are three years old, and three is of course the magic number. My continued & eternal thanks to the multi-talented Carey Farrell for allowing me to make things up to accompany her fantastic photos.

We celebrate all of these things with the meta-wonderment that is a balloon covered with balloons.

Also there is wrapping paper featuring a very dapper cat.

And my favorite part, the birthday pony.

Thank you for all the birthday wishes both in person and via Twitter and comments, my day so far has been balloon and kitten and pony and pancake-filled, and later there shall be ice cream cake. Thirty-three was a strange, wondrous, roller coaster of a year. I’m curious to see what thirty-four will bring, and I’m going to assume a balloon covered in balloons is a good birthday omen.

Tags:

16 Responses to “birthday!”

1. Lori T. says:

Enjoy your birthday, Erin! Best wishes!

2. Paul says:

Hurrah for the pony! Happy birthday, Erin! x

3. Lisa Ahn says:

Happy Birthday and best wishes for a year filled with storytelling.

4. Meg says:

I was having a book slump. I gave a Harry Dresden novel a three star review, I started a Robin McKinley book and didn’t finish it, I read a Brian K. Vaughn graphic novel and at the end said, “meh”. Two top five favorite book authors and all time comic author. Times were grim. Today I finished your book and I come here to thank you for creating the novel the broke the book slump, it might be perfect. Also, apparently, happy birthday.

5. Kaila says:

I just finished Night Circus a half hour ago and googled you because I enjoyed it so much. What a coincidence that today is your birthday! Have a lovely day!

6. The very happiest of birthdays Erin, it seems like you had a wonderful day (how could you not when such a fine birthday pony was in attendance?)

I wanted to email you but I assume a million other people want to as well, so figured a blog comment would be ok. I just wanted to say how much I enjoy reading your blog and how very much I love Night Circus. The moment I finished it i wanted to do some artwork inspired by it, but have only today finished it! If at any point you feel like seeing it, I would be highly honoured http://www.ivyleavesflametrees.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/night-circus-and-paper-art.html

7. Demented Seamstress says:

What a well dressed cat, I don’t know what a balloon covered balloon means, but a cat in a tailcoat must mean something good! Maybe it means you’ll find an antique copy of a Beatrix Potter book. It certainly is a beautiful drawing.

Happy birthday! Good luck in year thirty four.

• Marcheline says:

Demented… look again at the first picture. See the balloon? The one with all the balloons on it?

Hee hee! Yeah.

• Demented Seamstress says:

What? I meant that I wasn’t sure if a balloon covered balloon was a good omen like Erin says in the last paragraph. I do have eyeballs and they work very well.

8. Lisa Tsuruda says:

Miss Erin!!! I wanted to say Happy Belated Birthday!!! I have written Bailey an email at the nightcircus.com email address and attached a list of Literary Analysis Topics my 10th – 12th grade summer school students are going to write about! I taught your novel for this Write Right 10-12 class and they absolutely LOVE your novel!!!! They thought of their topics themselves and I am very proud of them. I’m going to assign a letter they have to write to Bailey and they will be sending it into the email address. Be on the lookout!!! They also have a whole list of questions they wish to ask you!! I also wrote about the Night Circus for a DailyLit.com question: “Which fictional place would you like to visit?” I hope to promote, promote, promote your fantastic work! Thank you for the gift of your circus! Can’t wait to see the movie version by Summit! Aloha from Hawaii! :)

9. Susan says:

Happy, happy birthday! Enjoy & Celebrate!

10. bluesuit12 says:

Happy belated birthday! In passing earlier this week, I heard someone mention your book and on a whim I checked it out of the library. I couldn’t put it down! It was so fun to read and it was easy to become lost in this fantastical world you created. I look forward to someday seeing it come alive on the big screen, though I doubt it will be able to fully capture the essence and intricacies of your story completely. I will definitely be recommending this to everyone!

11. Nathan says:

Happy birthday, Erin! =D
    I just read this and kind of late. But yeah, best wishes for you.

12. Pat Irwin says:

I finished the Night Circus 2 days ago. I can’t quite quantify my love for the story! Needless to say, I thought it was wonderful and fascinating. Thank you! BTW, I also was born on July 8 only it happened 66 years ago.