flax-golden tales: muses

July 27th, 2012 by erin

muses

What are you doing? they ask in earnest, curious unison.

Writing, I reply, answering automatically even though they ask the same question every day and they often sit directly on the typewriter so it should be rather obvious.

Writing what? they chorus with their typical giddiness.

A story.

There should be a bear! one suggests.

No, bears are scary! the other insists.

That’s why they make a good story, the first argues, because scary stories are exciting stories and exciting stories are good stories!

You’re not helping, I tell them, but they don’t listen. They never listen to me.

They argue about bears and relative levels of scariness (digressing into a lengthy debate as to whether dragons could be scarier than bears and who would win in a dragon versus bear situation, including caveats as to age of dragon, type of bear, landscape the fight is taking place on and both competitors psychological motivations) and what makes a story properly good while I continue to type.

About flax-golden tales
. Photo by Carey Farrell. Text by Erin Morgenstern.

Tags:

6 Responses to “flax-golden tales: muses”

1. brianne says:

Such smart muses! I love your stories and always look forward to reading them on Fridays. Have a good day!

2. Chelsea says:

Awwww, Raggedy Ann and Andy! :)

3. Lily Rose says:

Erin,

As always, loved the tale. Fridays have taken on a whole new spirit now.

I read night Circus last Winter; it blew my soul and my mind away but, more importantly, it also numbed the chagrin i was feeling at the time because it occupied so much place in my dreams and imagination.

I’m lucky enough to be able to read books in English, though i am francophone… however, my partner does not share hat ability. Will Night Circus be published in French eventually? I know an independant publisher who’d jump on the chance of publishing it French, if no one has considered it yet…

Rose

• erin says:

Hello Rose, the circus will be published in French by Flammarion, I don’t know the exact release date but I did recently see a preview of the cover so I imagine it will be sometime soon!

4. Lisa Ahn says:

I love the dolls, the details, and the whimsical twists. Another gem!

5. Paula Toledo says:

Hi,

My name is Paula I’m from São Paulo, Brazil. I’m finishing the reading of The Night Circus. I have many things to say but my english is poor. I have a juggling & circus store here in São Paulo and I also sell you book here. First of all I’m writing for impulse..so forgive me the non-sense words. I like very much the book and I´m reading while I came end go by subway to the store. Here is the link in facebook of your book on my store : https://www.facebook.com/lojajuggler?ref=hl#!/photo.php?fbid=10151267606058298&set=a.303127903297.193315.143097678297&type=1&theater

Well, I was “taken” with the magic aspects of the book. In portuguese I could say more end better…anyway I would like to say thank you for the beautiful story.